The name Syros emanates from the word “Sour” or “Osoura” that it meant rocky in ancient Foinikika. The hostage reports him in the Odyssey as “Syrii”.
It is bigger in population island of Cyclades with extent 84 square kilometres and more from 20.000 residents.
The travel with the boat lasts roughly 4 hours, while with the modern speedboats it lasts least from 3 hours and is a island that offers for interruptions, the all seasons of time.
The beautiful beaches, with the fine sand and protected [ormiskoys], are ideal for familial holidays. The small hamlets in the interior of island and various ports have all from one or more taverns, where it can eat no one exceptionally!
Certain of the sights:
- Square Miaouli is marked by a bust of the revolutionary hero Andreas Miaoulis (1889) and a marble bandstand (1907) with depictions of Apollo and Muses in relief.
- The Town Hall of Ermoupolis, one of biggest in Newer Greece, architectural jewel of German architect Ernestos Ciller.
- The Archaeological Museum Ermoupolis, where are exposed early Cycladic and Byzantine discoveries.
- The Industrial Museum Ermoupolis, in which can no one admire a collection of old machines and tools that it today includes more from 300 objects.
- The Historical File Cyclades, which the files of are dated from 1821 and are accessible students and visitors.
- The Intellectual Centre of Municipality Ermoupolis (former Club “Greece”), is accomodated in the first floor of building adjacent in the Town hall. It was drawn by the Italian architect Pietro Sampo (1862 – 63). Here is accomodated also the Museum of Copies of Cycladic Art in which we answer exhibits of early Cycladic of culture.
- The Municipal Theatre “Apollon”. Constructional in 1864, and is work of Italian architect Pietro Sampo. Simple externally but with impressive internal architecture, it imitates Italian and French models.
- The Museum of Mark Vamvakaris in Ano Syros.